First & Second grades took some classroom experiences on the road again this week by heading to the Erie Firefighters Historical Museum. A little Erie, a little history, a little firefighting and a whole lot of education and fun!
Here's a clip describing the museum: "In 1903 it was decided to build a new fire station, which is the current structure. It opened in early 1904 and housed a hose cart and a steam fire engine. The station was turned to face east to give more room for the apparatus to get in and out. The name was changed to Engine Company #4 because it is located in the 4th ward.The current entrance room and fire alarm room is where the stable area was. All the stables were removed when the Erie Fire Department became motorized starting in 1912. The last horses were used up until 1921.This station closed in 1974 when the city downsized the number of companies.In 1975 the City of Erie agreed to lease the closed fire station to the Firefighters Historical Museum Inc. and we took over the station in October of that year.The Museum was officially opened at its current location on May 8, 1976."